The Gospel and Power in Ministry 1-3 May 2017
Power is seductive. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
And yet, we need it. We literally need power to run anything.
There is power in you. Power in your wallet. Power in your brain. Power in the environment. Power in knowledge. Where there are human beings, power will be harnessed, expended, exploited, or used for good.
But in God's world, Christians cannot be blind to the corridors of power in this world. From the moment we relinquished autonomy and surrendered to the Christ to follow Him, we were freed from one power, to come under another, greater, power.
And so, how have we been serving under this great power of God?
Are we living God-powered lives? Doing powerful ministry?
Or have we been advancing our own causes? Are we blind to the power available to us?
Some Christians live under the belief that all things are dependent on what the demonic forces do. Others simply ignore this reality.
Some churches are plagued by conflicts of power, as opposed to being united by God's amazing power in His gospel.
The Resurrection of Jesus calls for a correction and clarification of our belief and behaviour. The Cross manifests God's power, demonstrating his superiority over evil, and assuring Christians that He rules over everything. His powerful resurrection of His Son teaches all Christians that they have been freed from sin, purchased by the powerful Son in His powerful death.
In a world that hates God's rule (Jn 7.7), it is critical that Christians are not seduced by evil, but are instead led by Christ through His Spirit's teaching of the Bible. The Bible's power and authority over us must continue to be felt in every aspect of ministry, as it was during the Protestant Reformation.
FWC 17 continues the series on Jesus' Kingship over His church with this key treatment on God's power in His Son's kingdom.
Come and enjoy the power of God in His revealing of Himself in His Son. Be humbled by His word to become more like the Son, the powerful servant of God.
Understand the true power of God's word seen in the Gospel, a deep and humbling demonstration of God's powerful and loving righteousness. A power that can never be defeated. A power that makes all of us His servants.
Let us come together to learn and pray for God to strengthen his church with power through his Spirit in our inner being so that Christ may dwell in us through faith and we may have strength to know Christ's love, and be filled to be everything God wants us to be (Eph 3.11-21).
Rev. Robin Gan
- Founding Elder, Christ Evangelical Reformed Church (2008-Present)
- Founder, Gospel Growth Fellowship (2007)
- Deacon, Anglican Diocese of Malaysia (2006-08)
- Curate, St. Andrew’s Cathedral (2005)
- Curate, St. Paul’s Kogarah (2004)
- Curate, FOCUS UNSW (2002-03)
- Bachelor of Divinity & Diploma of Ministry, Moore Theological College (2002-05)
- Ministry Training Strategy under Philip Jensen (2000-01)
- Regional Marketing for Sony Asia Pacific (1997-99)
- Youth and University Work Leader in Adam Road Presbyterian Singapore (1997-99)
- Bachelor of Commerce, UNSW Australia (1996)
For more than 20 years, Robin Gan has been ministering to students and adults from a wide variety of churches. His concern is for the gospel to grow churches in Malaysia through faithful ministry of the Word of God. He currently pastors CERC, a church that has raised many young leaders to be committed to Jesus' mission.
| Above All Earthly Pow'rs |
David F. Wells
| God in the Whirlwind: How the Holy-love of God Reorients Our World |
David F. Wells
| No Place for Truth |
David F. Wells
| Reading the Word of God in the Presence of God: A Handbook for Biblical Interpretation |
Vern S. Poythress
| Renewal as a Way of Life: A Guidebook for Spiritual Growth |
| The Atonement: Its Meaning and Significance |
| The Christian LIfe: A Doctrinal Introduction |
Sinclair B. Ferguson
- Come Praise And Glorify by Sovereign Grace Music
- O Church Arise by Keith Getty
- But God by The Village Church
- Facing A Task Unfinished by Keith & Kristyn Getty
- Glorious Christ by Soverign Grace Music
- Look And See by The Village Church
- Only In The Cross by Sovereign Grace Music
- Reformation Hymn by Bob Kauflin & Chris Anderson
- The Gospel Was Promised by Soverign Grace Music
- This Is The Word Of God by Unknown
- This Life I Live by Michael Morrow
- Psychology - The power of counselling
- Powerful worship
- The power of the dollar
- The power of planning
- The power of the miracle
- Size really does matter
- The power of method
- The power of persuasion
- The power of presuppositions