The Work of the Holy Spirit 20-23 Aug 2012
Thinking Theologically Conference returns this year with an exciting topic and an all-new venue! Happening over the Raya break, TTC is your chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city for 4D3N of being equipped and fellowship with other Christians.
Who is the Holy Spirit?
Some say Christians have been guilty of ignoring Him and failing to be directed by Him in life and ministry. But how does He work? Where was He in the Old Testament time? Can we explain His activity if we do not fully understand His relationship to the other persons of the Trinitarian God?
For Christians today there is still much confusion and uncertainty as seen in arguments over ‘spiritual phenomena’ like tongues-speaking and matters of guidance. Fundamentally, the question is, what is the relationship between the Christ and the Holy Spirit in Christianity? Do all Christians need to receive the Holy Spirit as a distinct experience in order to be better Christians?
All Christians will need to understand this and more, in order to know the work of God in their lives and to serve God and His church effectively. At TTC 2012, we will be working together as God's people, to learn of Him from the Bible and the theologians of the church in order to faithfully preach and minister Christ to the world.
The electives at TTC are a great way to work out how the truth you are learning applies to our contemporary context. This year the electives on offer include:
- Counselling – is the Holy Spirit a fan, a cooperating ally or a grudging participant?
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit and contemplative spirituality: examining Lectio Divina, 'centering prayer' and silent retreats
- The Holiness Movement's understanding of Holy Perfection and a reflection on the Spirit's work of sanctification
- What the Reformation reformed: Is the Pope the Spirit of Christ?
- Charismatics and their understanding of a second baptism in the Spirit
What happens at TTC?
- Challenging talks on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- Seminars for guided interaction
- Smaller groups to work hard at reading the Bible for ourselves
- Electives and Network time to get our minds into gear for ministry
- Free time and outdoor games for a break with God's people
- Q & A to wrestle with important questions together with the speaker
- Prayer in dependence on God's teaching
I'm a student without transport, how do I get there?
We will be arranging transport for students from campuses in the Klang Valley, so please indicate when you register if you need a lift.
I can't pay the full conference fee now - can I pay a deposit first?
Yes you may. The non-refundable deposit for normal registration is RM150; for students it is RM50.
Rev. Robin Gan
Robin Gan has been teaching theology for more than a decade to students and adults from a wide variety of churches. He trained for ministry in the Ministry Training Strategy and Moore Theological College (B.Div, Dip.Min) in Sydney. He is the founding partner and leader of the Gospel Growth Fellowship. His concern is for the gospel to grow churches in Malaysia through faithful ministry of the Word of God. He pastors CERC, a church that has raised many young leaders to be committed to Jesus' mission.